Last night, I wanted a fairly light, healthy meal for summer, with summer veggies and healthy protein. So the sesame salmon and zucchini noodles was born! So tasty with delicious healthy ingredients, full of summer flavours and of course, gluten free!
I then made a basil pesto full of good ingredients such as olive oil, fresh basil, almonds, garlic and a little cheese.
Then smothered the noodles with the fresh summer pesto.
The noodles could be a little meal by themselves, but I roasted some salmon with some sesame seeds for a delicious and healthy well balanced meal.
¼ cup Olive Oil
¼ cup Almonds
2 cups Fresh Basil
1 Clove Garlic, peeled
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Zucchinis / Courgettes
6 Cherry Tomatoes
2 tablespoons Sesame Seeds
2 Salmon Fillets
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170-180C.
2. Place the salmon, skin side down, on some foil in a large baking tray. Top the salmon fillets with the sesame seeds, fold the foil over the salmon so that it is covered (like a little parcel) and place in the oven. It will need 15-20 minutes to cook, but keep an eye on it so that it doesn´t dry out.
3. Whilst the salmon is cooking, it´s time to make the pesto. Add the almonds first to a food processor and whizz until the nuts have been broken down.
4. Add all of the other pesto ingredients to the food processor and whizz until all of the ingredients are combined and the mixture looks like a pesto. Set aside.
5. Use the spiralizer or vegetable peeler to turn both of the courgettes into noodles, trying to make the pieces as long as possible! The courgettes don´t need to be peeled first.
6. In a large mixing bowl, gently stir the pesto into the noodles using a spachelor. Lightly stir until all of the noodles have been coated with the pesto.
7. If you would like to heat the noodles slightly, you can place them in a frying pan on a low heat with a little oil for 5 minutes, but this can lead to soggy noodles as a lot of water can come out from the courgettes, so I personally chose not to do this.
8. Mix in the cherry tomatoes with the noodles.
9. Once the salmon is cooked and the noodles are ready, place the noodles on a plate and top with the salmon!